Re: Inputting special symbols

From: stk
Subject: Re: Inputting special symbols
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 03:59:15 -0500 (EST)

> Hi, does this mean that I cannot input these special characters using
> Windows 98 platform and using Notepad? Are there other alternatives?

I think there are hardly any people on this list who use W98 and Notepad.
However, I do, and there is a work-around.

I will e-mail you directly a file with a table showing the pair of
characters you have to insert in your Notepad file in order to get any
specific Latin-1 character.

Disadvantages:
     -- the table covers only Latin-1 characters (French, Spanish,
Italian, German -- but not Greek, Russian, Czech, Romanian,...);
     -- the characters will look OK in the final PDF file, but in the
Notepad file *itself* you will see, for every desired accented character,
a weird-looking pair of symbols;
     -- this is a slow way to insert utf-8 characters, so it would be
suitable only if you need to insert just a *few* utf-8 characters here and
there.

I won't attach the conversion table to this message, as I think the list
administrators don't want big attachments, and I think there is nearly
zero interest in this problem anyway, as almost all other users are using
utf-8-capable text editors.

-- Tom