Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 38, Issue 17
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:09:19 +1100

Linda Seltzer wrote:

For example, if one is running on a Windows
environment, one should not have to install another editor and worry about
getting that to work, and the outputs should be easily usable and readable
by other programs without having to install other kinds of programs and
accessories.

First of all, I have never used Lilypond on windows. However, it isn't clear to me exactly what you consider to be wrong. Lilypond takes a text file as input; these can be easily produced with Microsoft Word and Notepad. Old versions of notepad don't support UTF-8, but this is a limitation of Notepad, not Lilypond.

There are _many_ better text editors around, so whenever anyone asks about editors on the list, they are usually recommended to install something new. But it is certainly not required to install another editor.

I suppose my main complaint about your complaint is that you don't identify anything specific that needs to be fixed. You suggest that Lilypond's user interface is poor but you don't say what needs to be done to fix it. It's all very well to talk about "simplicity" and "clarity," but if you want your suggestions to be taken seriously, why don't you make a list of specific problems?

Joe