Re: Inputting special symbols

From: stk
Subject: Re: Inputting special symbols
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:23:26 -0500 (EST)

With the word-space override you suggest (below), that means that your
comment of a few weeks ago that it  _might_  be desirable to redefine
   \char #<unicode-number>
to produce a utf-8 byte string is true:  this would in fact be useful for
people who need, infrequently, to insert various odd special characters in
their Lilypond text, such as an em-dash, a capital Greek delta, or a
1/2-sign, or who need to print titles in languages, such as Portuguese or
Romanian, that have, in addition to the usual panoply of European
characters, just a few oddball characters.  Even for a text editor that
can  _save_  in utf-8,  _inputting_  the required character directly
presumably requires a character map, and at this point I don't know that
any really extensive character maps exist.

I realize that implementing a new  \char  is not trivial, since the utf-8
coding algorithm is such a mess.

-- Tom