Re: User Experience Engineering

From: Riccardo Cohen
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 09:43:24 +0100

A question about that : is it possible to make a program that links with lilypond ? , in that case, it it quite easy for me to make a GUI with an editor, a "build" button and a pdf launcher (on mac&win&linux with wxWidgets). I do not like to launch external programs, but if there is no lilypond library, I can also make it through an "execute" (which is a bit more difficult).

Gilles wrote:
Hello.

I would greatly encourage the project to focus on the user interface and
the user experience if this is to catch on in a large way.

Having to install separate editors (and who knows what bugs that will
bring and what other mailing lists one will have to subscribe to...) or
get into the system with DOS commands, and to understand what is wrong if
the flags are wrong, etc. does not constitute user interface engineering.

A smooth user interface employing the standard already-debugged platforms,
such as Notepad and Word on Windows, with everything bug free, is more
important than more and more detailed features, which can be added later.

Every 10 minues spent system administrating and installing things is 10
minutes that real work doesn't get accomplished.

User experience engineering is just as important as other areas of
software development.

Well, that would usually be enough to start a flame war ;-)
[Especially, that part about "Windows" and "bug free"...]

Please note that LilyPond is not about (graphical) user interface,
but about music engraving.  The LilyPond interface with the user is
the text file describing the music to be typeset.
Other projects (e.g. editors and GUI) propose tools which you can
choose from in order to fulfill particular wishes (not needs!).

Best,
Gilles