Re: A simple diagram of a .ly file?

From: Nicholas Bailey
Subject: Re: A simple diagram of a .ly file?
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:09:35 +0000

Hi Ray! And a happy new year to you too!

I found a similar problem with understanding when and how tweaking properties can be used, so I know what you mean. I've got no excuse: the manual even tells you what to look up, how and in which order, but it is one of those that you read, think "Yeah, I understand that", then find yourself unable to actually do any of it! A bit like doing Schenkerian analysis really. It's really easy if you know the answer before you start :) Lilypond is a salutary experience and has made me a lot more tolerant of some of my first-year C programming students!

I don't know if this is just because the problem of music layout is inherently complex. Maybe. Or perhaps I'm just getting old.

One thing about syntax and layout: I do find the lilypond mode for emacs rather useful. If I'm thinking about higher things, I'm still sufficiently inexperienced to write c2' instead of c'2, and the syntax colouring of emacs immediately points up the error. I use Debian Gnu/Linux so I just installed it from the repository. I don't know about its availability for other platforms, or if similar capabilities exist for other portable editors (jedit and kate are popular around here). But it might be worth looking into. It might not be so good at helping with global structure though.

I hope you carry on with Lilypond. It seems to me like using LaTeX. Dreadfully over-complicated at first, but with familiarisation comes the feeling of amazement that you could ever have put up with what you were using before, and astonishment that you ever found it hard to use.

Nick/.
http://cmt.gla.ac.uk