Re: User Experience Engineering

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:57:52 +0100

Am 2006-01-06 um 09:43 schrieb Riccardo Cohen:

A question about that : is it possible to make a program that links with lilypond ? , in that case, it it quite easy for me to make a GUI with an editor, a "build" button and a pdf launcher (on mac&win&linux with wxWidgets). I do not like to launch external programs, but if there is no lilypond library, I can also make it through an "execute" (which is a bit more difficult).

There's already LilyPad for MacOS X (http://edbaskerville.com/ software/lilypad/), LilyPond's own simple GUI (at least on MacOS X) and jEdit's LilyPond mode (http://lily4jedit.sourceforge.net/). And as a GUI tool there's at least RoseGarden on Linux (http:// www.rosegardenmusic.com/), that can export LilyPond code. Some other GUI tools might be able to export MusicXML that could be converted to LilyPond code (never tried that myself), or you could go via MIDI (but the midi2ly code is rather ugly).

As Paul Scott wrote, in a UNIXy OS you would call LilyPond via the shell, on Windows you might be able to access the executable via COM.
What language do you prefer?
- Java: help updating & enhancing LilyTool4jEdit
- Python: use lilylib (look at the Python scripts in LilyPond distribution)
- Lisp: Why do you need a GUI? (Is there any GUI library for any Lisp?)
;-)

Another remark about "User Experience":
We are the users, our experience counts. And we users like our LilyPond experience! :-)

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm