Re: Ubuntu Problem

From: Lambros Lambrou
Subject: Re: Ubuntu Problem
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 00:29:47 +0000

Hi,

I'm also using Ubuntu Breezy, but I'm using the x86_64 version, which tends to make things trickier to install (for example, I had considerable difficulty getting the autopackages to work).

I don't recommend replacing "breezy" with "dapper", as Jan suggested. That is very much a "developer-only" system, and you can expect breakage, particularly since it is early in the 6-month release cycle.

Instead, I recommend you enable the offical Ubuntu backports. Add the lines:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy-backports main restricted universe multiverse deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ breezy-extras main restricted universe multiverse

to the end of your /etc/apt/sources.list
(or uncomment the lines if they are already there)

I think that will put you up to lilypond version 2.6.something. If you need any later versions, you may need to build from source if you can't get the autopackage system to work. Or you could search the Ubuntu forums at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ . Someone there might have built a more-recent .deb package for Ubuntu Lilypond.

Good luck!
Lambros

S L Raymond wrote:

I'm running version 2.2 in Ubuntu Breezy Badger, and Synaptic tells me
2.2 is the latest, when it's clear that 2.6 is the current stable.

Any Debian/Ubuntu gurus care to tell me what steps to take to manually
upgrade?  I'm stuck with a version that still notates maj7 chords as "M"
chords, so I need to get out of 2.2 as quickly as possible (I've got
deadlines).

Thanks in advance.