Re: User Experience Engineering

From: Joshua Koo
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 04:08:20 +0800

Hi,

I have no say in Lilypond development, but I do have similar thoughts I would
like to share (well as maybe a more bias windows user).

Perhaps what some of us imagined before tried using Lilypond was that you just
have to do a few clicking, and out comes the score. That was what I thought,
and it was a initial shock for me that lilypond looks like programming with a
syntax to learn, and "painstaking" just to enter notes, for such lazy and slow,
mouse-addicted typist.

If after all the purpose of lilypond is produce beautiful scores, why cant the
input be visual? I dont have the answer. For me, if I wanted to compose, in my
mind would be thinking where the notes on the score for entry, rather than what
are the pitch names.

For example, take 3d modelling/rendering software. I do appreciate the beauty
of pov-ray rendered images, but it seems to me very painstaking to type the
syntax, coordinates and everything just to generate each image. Could you
imagine how if its used create a 3d movie? But I believe there are a couple of
good frontends for it. If you have seen any relatively experienced user work in
3ds max (or maya, lightwave, blender3d..), its really like the mouse becomes a
hand in the computer, and moulding 3d models from blocks like how pots are
moulded from clay.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying how I can enter notes visually in LilyTool, sort
like a frontend, you click stuff on a staff and it inserts a extract of
lilypond code maybe, but then I not too good at programming either.

Till then, take your pick on the wide choices of score setting software, and
even if still chose lilypond at the end, you can find the converters (abc,
midi,musicxml, nwc.. ) or many others which can produce lilypond files
(lilypad, gscore, denemo, noteedit, rosegarden, harmony assistance..), and
issnt that the unix philosophy?

Joshua