Re: GNU clarification

From: Pedro Kröger
Subject: Re: GNU clarification
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:25:41 -0200

"Vaylor Trucks" <address@hidden> writes:

> I was not able to (quckly) find this info on the site or in the list
> archives.  Suppose I want to use Lilypond to generate output which
> would then be inserted into a book which I intend to sell:
>
> 1. is this a violation of the GNU?

I believe you mean the GPL? no, it's not a violation. You can do
whatever you want with the output lilypond generates. The license
applies to the source code of the program itself (i.e. the source code
of lilypond).

> 2. if not, what attribution (if any) needs to be present in the final
>    materials?

none, but you are welcomed to keep the "Music engraving by lilypond" tag in
your files. Or better yet, mention lilypond in the colophon section. Or
even better, if you make lots of money selling the book, consider making
a donation to the project. :-)

Pedro