Re: User Experience Engineering

From: Joshua Koo
Subject: Re: User Experience Engineering
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:10:00 +0800

I see, didnt noticed that eariler.

Installers could detect if any JRE is available, then download/install them if
needed. (commerial installers like http://www.advancedinstaller.com/ or
http://www.denova.com/  does that), if not make a notice to download it from
sun's page.

As for whether installer can uninstall other applications, its yes (esp if you
have admin privillages in windows). An example is Google pack -
http://pack.google.com

A batch file can be very written quickly eg..
:: LilypondPackageInstaller.bat
start /wait "ftp://blabla.org/java5.exe";
start /wait "http://blabla.org/lilypond.exe";
start /wait "http://blabla.org/jedit.exe";
start /wait "http://blabla.org/lilytool.exe";

But can the user might be confused after installers after another installer
popups is a question. Maybe setting up a webpage like "Ultimate guide to
lilypond on windows" with links to all the installers can be as easy but I
thought the flash tutorials http://web.interware.hu/fodber/lilytut/ was quite
good already.

Joshua