Re: scanning music and transposing

From: fiëé visuëlle
Subject: Re: scanning music and transposing
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:06:08 +0100

Am 2006-01-15 um 19:46 schrieb David Rogers:
I was wondering if anyone has scanned sheet music and then used Lilypond to transpose keys (especially on a Macintosh). I've googled a bit and haven't found a method for doing this yet. Any guidance is appreciated.

OK, so you want to transpose this piece. You scan the music, but what do you want to do next?

You'll still have to type the notes into Lilypond by hand. There is no software anywhere that does a decent job of reading scanned scores. (I don't even think there's software that does a bad job!) The available technology is too primitive.

Oh, there are some programs around that claim to be able to scan & recognize sheet music; the cheapest I know of is OMeR by Myriad:
http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/omer.htm
It's more a plugin for Harmony Assistant. I don't use it, even if I registered my copy...

VivaldiScan (a version of SharpEye) runs only on old Macs:
http://www.vivaldistudio.com/Eng/VivaldiScan.asp

PhotoScore is also available for MacOS X:
http://www.neuratron.com/photoscore.htm
(PhotoScore is a relative of Sibelius)

So is SmartScore:
http://www.musitek.com/smartscre.html

Anyway you would need to go via MIDI and midi2ly; possibly also via MusicXML.

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm