Re: Still learning Lilypond's ropes

From: Ray
Subject: Re: Still learning Lilypond's ropes
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:08:56 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, I've poured through the documentation, but it's very opaque
and there's not
much explanation of line breaks.  For example,
 the section link kindly posted
earlier tells me that yes, indeed, line breaks
 are possible...but I've not a
clue about where to place the \break...in the
 notes?  In the score?  Do I need
to do this in the lyrics as well?  There's
 just a short, tiny example which
assumes a visual understanding of Lilypond
that I suspect many beginners don't have.

In my case, I played around for quite a while
 trying to get the right syntax and
it just gets frustrating seeing a "warning:
 can't find line breaking that
satisfies constraints" message without
 any further way (aside from pestering
some kind soul out of the cyberblue)
to figure out what's going wrong.

Here's what I found in the manual:

<< \repeat unfold 7 {
         s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak
         s1 \noBreak s1 \break }
   the real music

Here's what I have in my own document:

\score {
    <<
         \context Voice = verseone {
           \autoBeamOff
              \verseone
           }

           \lyricsto "verseone" \new Lyrics \wordsvone
           \lyricsto "verseone" \new Lyrics \wordsvtwo

Do I insert the "\break" into the notes (not shown)?
  (I tried this and it
didn't work at all)  Do I need to assign
 variables to the various lines of notes
and then break it up using "\break" in
the Score section?

As far as the documentation goes, it is very
 good at explaining what each piece
of syntax does, and the accompanying diagrams
 are excellent.  However it is all
at a very microscopic level and as the examples
 aren't placed into larger
contexts it's hard to know exactly how to use
 them when something goes wrong.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
  Thank you very much!

http://www.kaisora.com -- fine art and photographs by Ray Bartlett