RE: feature request: semi-automatic vertical spacement

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: feature request: semi-automatic vertical spacement
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:13:08 -0600

Trevor -

The notion is so simple (maybe too simple) that a detailed example would
only make it seem more complex.

Simply use \breakSpace at the break point of any staff to override the
springs and force the distance from the bottom line of the staff to the top
line of the next, ignoring everything on or around the staff.
\pageBreakSpace would force space between the bottom line of the staff to
the bottom page margin.

Let the fancy layout algorithms deal with anything left over and complain if
spacing is over specified.

Normally the default layout is good, with few adjustments necessary.

Now I use a mixture of \pageBreak, betweensystempadding, betweensystemspace,
Staff minimumVerticalExtent, \markup { " " \raise #n " " }, and TLC to trick
the vertical layout algorithms.  The result is often unpredictable.

                              - Bruce