Re: Context - A recommendable Windows-Editor for Lilypond

From: Uli Heller
Subject: Re: Context - A recommendable Windows-Editor for Lilypond
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:57:06 +0100

Bertalan Fodor schrieb:
I don't want to be too confident, but as far as I know, the editor with the most features is jEdit with its LilyPondTool plugin. :-) I don't what the definition of an IDE is, but the most complete one is LilyPondTool for sure.
I feel the automatic completion and document wizard a must for beginners.
However you get an indexed LilyPond documentation, syntax coloring out-of-the-box, code folding, brace matching, instant help on markup commands, some simple error checking (like unclosed braces), and much more: hyphenation, midi player, tweaking wizard, repeats etc.

Convince yourself with http://web.interware.hu/fodber/lilytut

Bert

Hello Bert,

thank you for your message about jEdit! Your Link was very interesting
and illustrative. Wonderful the assistent to write some settings before
starting the source code. That feature is not in context, you are right.
But I don't need that feature realy. When I start to write a new piece I
load a usable template with the most needed entrys and edit their values
in the text.

I tried jEdit before I knew context. I was not pleased with that
program, it was to gaudy and the frame looked oversized for me. Now I am
no more shure, but I think it was a bit slowly too). The language of
jEdit is only in english (I like to work with my mother-language
germany) and I missed shortcuts like "(A)lt - (D)atei - (ö)ffnen". (I
hope your e-mail-reader finds the "oe"-char). :-)

Can jEdit call lilypond, midi and other functions with a shortcut or
only with menü (like the demo-link showed)? I like to work with
shortcuts but a menü should be there alternative (to remember my
forgotten shortcuts and for recreation the brain). :-)

I don't want you all to leave your favorite editors. But I can say,
context is an editor that cooperates very well with lilypond, is quick
and easy to use.

Best wishes (to write good music) to you and all the others  :-)

Uli Heller