Re: etf2ly

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: etf2ly
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:47:42 -0800 (PST)

Or should I just re-notate the whole thing?

I know that this is just a way for me to admit to being a bit of a masochist, but I generally find it easier (and just as time consuming) to start over. I've tried using the lily code that Rosegarden, NoteEdit, and Denemo produce, but I spend so much time correcting code -- sometimes only so that it looks a particular way that makes it easier for me to read, sometimes because I don't like the way the programs organize everything -- that I usually give up and start typing from scratch.

In my experience, things only get more complicated when dealing with a translator. I have not had good experiences with trying to turn midi files into lily source, though it's been long enough that the tools that perform that function are probably more mature. Granted, my experience is limited. I'm too lazy: I'd rather just type out a new score than deal with mucking out the old.

I don't know. The way I've answered your question sounds suspiciously like the host of editor questions that have been filling up the list lately. I suppose the best cure for this may be following the advice Mats gave me for something totally unrelated about a year or so ago: Try it. Doing it Josiah's way is probably not the best way to do it.