Re: ugly song help

From: Aaron Mehl
Subject: Re: ugly song help
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 03:05:01 -0800 (PST)

Richard Schoeller <address@hidden> wrote:
Aaron,

I just looked this with 2.6.4. The Hebrew lyrics do seem to come out
more squished together than the English. I was able to defeat this by
using:
wow someone else doing hebrew lilypond on linux non the less!!

I actually never fiddled with fonts on lilypond much because I am still trying to get nikud working, since the style for the hebrew In the nigunim always seems to use, nikud but I have yet to get it in place. I would gather that the culmus fonts will serve me better.

\override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1
I will read what graham suggested and see what 2.7 needs since I am using it.

Otherwise, the ordering all seems OK. However, since most of the lyrics
are a nigun I might be missing an ordering thing in there (all those li
li li's start to look and sound the same). BTW, this might work better
with a different font. I am not convinced that the font metrics are all
that good for the Hebrew characters in the default sanserif font.

I agree.

Another thing I see is the same problem that I have had with markup.
There is a real oddity with text segment placement with mixed
directional text. So the title displays badly because No. 2, overlaps
with L'cha Dodi.
Yes  and on  my current keyboard the hebrew comma doesn't appear to work.

but I never even paid attention to numbers...

The poet also displays badly because of the comma in
the middle. The comma is taken as left to right between 2 segments of
right to left. Yuk! On the other hand the subtitle displays just fine
because it is all one direction.

What I do to work around this is to break the markup into separate
segments in a \line specifier, like so:

title = \markup { \line { "No. 2" } { "לכה דודי" } }

To take care of the comma you also need to manipulate the intersegment
spacing of the markup.

I have not yet tried out 2.7.*. So I don't know whether this is better
there.

I have included a tweaked version of this just to demonstrate the
improvements that can be had.

BTW, pretty melody. Though I like more energetic nigunim for Kabbalat
Shabbat.

Another BTW, Evolution's text editor started to get really confused
about directionality with all this mixed Hebrew and English. So if this
comes out wierd...

I ditched evolution for that reason, I have been using muttng with vim happily for some time now.
Thanks
Aaron
Dick

------------------------------ cut here ------------------------------

\header{
title = \markup { \line { "No. 2" } { "לכה דודי" } }
subtitle = \markup { "ניגון פון גערער חסידים" }
poet = \markup { \line { "גענדליש לאדז" } \hspace #0.0 ","
\hspace #0.0 { "אויפגענומען פון ג" } }

composer = " "
meter = "Moderato"
opus = ""
arranger = " "
instrument = ""
dedication = " "
piece = ""
head = ""
copyright = ""
footer = ""
tagline = ""
}

#(set-global-staff-size 16)
#(set-default-paper-size "a4")

melodynotes = {
\override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1
\set Staff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
\time 2/4
\key d \major
\clef treble
\repeat volta 2 {
a'8 fis' b' a'16 g' |
fis'8 a' a' d'' |
a' fis' b' a'16 g' |
fis'8 a' a' d'' |
%5
a' fis' b' a'16 g' |
fis'8 d' e' d'
}
\alternative {
{e'16 fis' g' fis' e'8 b' | a'2}
{e'16 fis' g' fis' e'8 a' | d'2}
}
\break
\repeat volta 2 {
a'8 fis' b' a'16 g' |
fis'8 a' a' d'' |
a' fis' b' a'16 g' |
fis'8 a' a' d'' |
%5
a' fis' b' a'16 g' |
fis'8 d' e' d'
}
\alternative {
{e'16 fis' g' fis' e'8 b' | a'2}
{e'16 fis' g' fis' e'8 a' | d'2}

\book {
\score {
{
\melodynotes
}
\addlyrics {
טרי לי לי - לי טרי לי לי לי ל כה דו - די לק ראת כ לה
טרי לי לי - לי טרי לי לי לי פני ש בת נ קב ־ לה פני ש בת נ קב ־ לה

tri li li - li tri li li li l' cha do - di lik rat ca lah
tri li li - li tri li li li pnei sha bat n kab - lah pnei sha
bat n kab - lah
}
\layout { }
}