Parenthesized Notes and PianoStaff.connectArpeggios

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Parenthesized Notes and PianoStaff.connectArpeggios
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:37:58 +1100

I have attached a .ly file which has three bars of piano music.

In bar one you can see that the final c' in the right hand has
parentheses around it. (There are a number of reasons this could be
desirable: for example, in this case it's because the note is doubled
in the left hand.)

I had to use stencil-hacking.ly file for the function to do this. But
since this function doesn't pay much attention to the objects around
the notes, I had to modify the function for it to work with notes with
accidentals. The result can be seen in the second bar in the first
des' of the left hand. Since this is part of a chord, I have to
parenthesize both notes with this function which is undesirable. Also,
if a different amount of padding was needed for some reason, I would
have to write a whole new function...

Are there any plans to include support for adding parentheses around a
note head (like cautionary accidentals have them) which take into
account spacing and accidentals and other important things? I would be
willing to sponsor such a feature (if it's not too expensive).

In bar two, the arpeggio symbol is covering a note. This is terrible
spacing! Unfortunately, when using PianoStaff.connectArpeggios, it
seems that lilypond 2.6.5 doesn't do any spacing consideration. By
adding extra padding, a better result can be obtained, as seen in bar
3. But it would be better if it weren't necessary to write \extraSpace
#number before every \arpeggio - the spacing should be done
automatically.
I could not find this problem in the mailing list archives so I'm
bringing it up now in the hope that someone might be able to fix it =)

Are any of these problems addressed in version 2.7? Or perhaps my
lilypond code is not optimal and there are simple ways to achieve the
desired output I have overlooked?

Thanks,
Ramana