Re: Questions from a Wanderer Returning

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Questions from a Wanderer Returning
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 20:54:45 -0800

On 28-Jan-06, at 2:59 AM, Alan McConnell wrote:

I recently did a reinstall of a very ancient Linux system and
am now running Debian Sarge; and I reinstalled Lilypond from
-snip-

1.  If I want to upgrade to a Lilypond 2.6.x, will that mean
I have to get a new guile, and possibly other libs?

Possibly. Check the INSTALL document to see what version of guile and libraries you need, then check your system. If you install lilypond 2.6.x from a deb, then Debian should automagically find all the required dependencies.

3. Mats Bengtsson wrote in a recent E-mail: "Note that version 2.6 and
later don't know anything about TeX or LaTeX."  I don't know what he
meant by that; doesn't even today's Lilypond use TeX for its
engraving? isn't the last stage of the "lilypond -P" command still
"running dvips . . ."?

I believe that LilyPond 2.6 creates a postscript file directly, then calles ps2pdf to produce a pdf.

Cheers,
- Graham