Re: Lyrics and figured bass positioning

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: Lyrics and figured bass positioning
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:09:04 +0100

> In the attached file, I want to stack two "PianoStaff" (each with their
> own lyrics and figured bass lines). [See attached pdf.]
> But I can't figure out why the lyrics and figures intended for the first
> piano (setup in lines 58-59) come *after* the second piano. [And if I add
> those to the second piano I get 4 lines below the second piano.]
>
> I'm probably missing something obvious :-{

Answering to myself, but still I'd appreciate to read the rationale for
the alternative behaviour:  The "workaround" is to move the "\lirycsto"
and "\new FiguredBass" from the simultaneous grouping with the "Basse"
voice over to the simultaneous grouping with the "\upper" and "\lower"
variables.

[See previous post for the complete example.]

> lower = \context Staff = "Lower" {
>   \set Staff.instrument = \markup{ \column { " " { "C.F." } } \hspace #2 }
>   \set Staff.instr = \markup{ \column { " " { "C.F." } } \hspace #2 }
>   \clef F
>   \key c \major
>   <<
>     \context Voice = "Tenor" { \voiceOne \tenor }
>     \context Voice = "Basse" { \voiceTwo \basse }

      % This alternative does not produce the "expected" behaviour.

>     \lyricsto "Basse" \new Lyrics \degrees
>     \new FiguredBass { \realizationFigures }
>   >>
> }
>
> pianoStaff = \context PianoStaff = "Piano" <<
>   \upper
>   \lower

    % This alternative does produce the right behaviour

    \lyricsto "Basse" \new Lyrics \degrees
    \new FiguredBass { \realizationFigures }

At first, I would think it logical to have the first alternative produce
the same result as the second.
Or are there examples where it wouldn't be desirable?

Regards,
Gilles