Re: MIDI Input/Invoke

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: MIDI Input/Invoke
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:13:57 -0800

On 2-Feb-06, at 9:07 AM, James McFadyen (sent by Nabble.com) wrote:

The Lilypond manual isn't user-friendly enough in this respect, it tells you what to do but doesn't give you a working example. It also says to invoke it from the command line. Does this mean I click Start - Run and then type in cmd to bring up the command prompt and then invoke from there, if so I've tried it with no luck...

Yes, the command line (in windows) is start-run-cmd. Invoke it from there. If you get an error message, search the mailing list for that error (in case the question has been answered before), otherwise post it here.

1) How do I 'invoke' MIDI (ie where EXACTLY does the code get written in order to start the invoke process)

Not in the code.  You run "midi2ly input.midi" from the command line.

I need to know everything there is to turn a MIDI file into a Lilypond file. I have been using Sibelius, but have recently saw the light and started using Lilypond (what a fab program) Just need a way to get my Sibelius scores into Lilypond format and the only way to do that at present is to export the Sibelius file as a MIDI file and somehow change the MIDI file into Lilypond by so-called 'invoking'.

You will lose a lot of formatting data by exporting to midi; it might be faster simply to start again from scratch. Many lilypond users have reported that it was easier in the long run to do this.

Cheers,
- Graham