Re: Question about error message

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Question about error message
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:46:53 -0800

On 2-Feb-06, at 7:22 PM, Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

When I leave out the end bracket to a triplet figure in line 18,23/24 (in jedit) [see example below] the error message is that I have something wrong with
score\
\new Staff \ melody

when in fact the problem is way before that - a missing bracket.
This doesn't make sense to me, can someone explain it?

Two explanations:
1) Error detection is hard -- by assumption, something is wrong with the file, and computers don't deal with unexpected input very easily.

2) Since the bracket isn't there, lilypond thinks that you're defining a \score outside of the main body of the lilypond file (or outside of a \book).

I mean, how _should_ lilypond know that you only intended to have three notes inside the \times? Remember that \times 2/3{ a8 a a b b b} is perfectly valid input.

- Graham