Re: MIDI Input/Invoke

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: MIDI Input/Invoke
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:14:45 -0800 (PST)

Not being a windows user, I can't really help you with the matter of invocation. However, on the matter of midi2ly and translating midi files to lilypond, there has been considerable discussion on this list. Regarding midi2ly:

I need to know everything there is to turn a MIDI file into a Lilypond file.

This is something that I, also have found confusing. Part of the problem is that midi is a glorified piano roll punch card. Midi is very badly suited to music notation, since it's designed -- specifically -- to be a set of instructions for the production of sound. Translating this to the (relative) simplicity of typography is difficult. I have personally never gotten a midi file adequately translated. As mentioned by Graham, many people --including me -- find that starting from scratch is probably easier than dealing with translation software (such as midi2ly).

However, if you have a substantial body of work, and typing it from scratch would be far too time consuming, I would encourage you to evaluate MusicXML. I think Recordare has plugins or something of that nature that allow Sibelius to output MusicXML. It is probably much easier to go from MusicXML to Lilypond than from Midi to Lilypond. Further, there are two tools available for this job, both of which seem to have generated positive results. I have never used them, but I think they're called musicxml2ly and xml2ly. I'm not positive, so search the archive for MusicXML.

Good luck,

Josiah