faster lilypond rendering

From: Ben Fisher
Subject: faster lilypond rendering
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:30:26 -0800

Running lilypond seems to take a while on my machine. For a project I'm working on it'd be nice to have much faster time to output. Maybe some of this time is spent for lilypond to load all of its fonts and set up.

Instead of running lilypond.exe several times, is there a way to start lilypond so that it stays active? For example, it would sit and capture from stdin, creating a pdf/or png of the output whenever an eof is fed in, but only quitting upon recieving a certain code? I'm willing to do c++ coding if necessary.

Or, ideally, a standard windows dll of lilypond that would only need to get set up once.

And if it were possible to do this, would the time saving be significant?

Thanks
-Ben