Re: Aligning lyrics to an invisible Voice

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Aligning lyrics to an invisible Voice
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:17:54 +0100

The question has been raised before and I include a Cc: to lilypond-devel
as a feature request for something like \lyricsto where the actual music
voice isn't printed but just used as a template for the lyrics rhythm.
This is certainly useful for example for accompanying instruments, where
it would take too much place to include the music of the solo in a separate
part, but where you can fit in at least the lyrics.

Waiting for such a solution, I can see three possibilities:

- Typeset the lyricsRhythm voice in one of the existing staves, but use
 invisible notes. You migh get into trouble with note heads that are moved
 to avoid collisions with the invisible notes.
- Explicitly specify the rhythm directly in the lyrics.
- See http://lilypond-design.com/sponsor/index.html

  /Mats

Aaron VonderHaar wrote:

I would like to print lyrics in the center of a grandstaff that are aligned to a rhythm that is not printed. Here is what I have tried, but lilypond gives the following message,

    warning: cannot find Voice `lyricsRhythm'
    warning: cannot find Voice `lyricsRhythm'

The result is that the lyricsRhythm appears on it's own staff (I don't want it to appear at all); and the lyrics do not appear.

Thanks for any suggestions,

--Aaron V.

\version "2.6.4"
upper = \transpose c c' { \time 3/4  c4 e g | c e g | c e g }
lower = \transpose c c { \time 3/4  c2. | c | c }

\context Voice = lyricsRhythm {
  \time 3/4
  c4 c c | c4. c8 c4 | c2. |
}

verseOne = \lyricmode { One two three | four and six | seven }
verseTwo = \lyricmode { Eight nine ten | e -- le -- ven | twelve }

\score {
  \context PianoStaff <<
    \context Staff = upper \upper
    \lyricsto lyricsRhythm \new Lyrics \verseOne
    \lyricsto lyricsRhythm \new Lyrics \verseTwo
    \context Staff = lower \lower

  \layout { }

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing