more text-interspersing issues

From: Father Panteleimon
Subject: more text-interspersing issues
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:09:43 -0500

Hello.

I am using 2.7.34  on linux and 2.7.36 on windows. I am trying to create documents (liturgical books) that intersperse text and music. I do not know how to use LaTex, but have instead been trying to use the \book block, interspersing \markups with individual \score blocks. I have not found a way to adjust the margins of blocks of text.

According to the 2.7 manual  (pg 176), one may use  \override #'(linewidth . X) [where X = a number of staff spaces] in conjunction with \justify to set the linewidth of a justified text markup. I can't get this to work. I've put this bit in front of \justify, behind it, in the brackets with the actual text and wherever else I could think to put it.

Here is my longish short example file:

****

\version 2.7.36

\book {

\markup { \italic \with-color #(x11-color 'red) {Paragraph:} \hspace #3  \override #'(linewidth . 5)

% a very short linewidth, I know, but it doesn’t work regardless.

\justify  { Here's a text that will be long enough to show how I would hope to be able to write a long text here, which would be justified, but would have a smaller margin than the music in this document and would not run off of the page to due its following that italic thing that says 'paragraph' and could therefore stay \italic on the page in spite of its being very long and also justified. I have also tried the same without the little 'paragraph' thing and the hspace. }

}

\score { \relative c'' { e d c2 \fermata } \addlyrics { Then we sing... }

****

Is there a way to accomplish my intention without learning LaTex?

Otherwise, many thanks for your very good software.

Monk Panteleimon