Re: Signo and Coda

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Signo and Coda
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:55:27 +0100

Jean Bergeron wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve to put the signo and the Coda at the right place but
it looks like I'm unable. I'm surely missing someting.

I'm confused by your code and also somewhat confused by
your problem description, but will try sort out a few things.
- Please always tell what LilyPond version you use, to be sure
 to get a relevant answer.
- As has already been pointed out, the code you sent
 has several syntactic errors. It is much more likely that
 people on the mailing list will make the effort to answer
 if you send something that is reasonably complete and
 does work. Then, you can add comments on the places
 that you don't manage to solve.
- From the music, I guess that the piece is actually in 3/4,
 so a \time 3/4 is clearly missing.
- Always use R2. instead of r2. for full bar rests to get
 a result that follows common typesetting practice.
- I also recommend you to learn the \relative feature,
 which will save lots of typing in most scores.
- If you do \override ... then that setting will hold until
 the end of the piece. Here, you kept repeating the same
 \override ... several times.
 On the other hand, \once \override ... only changes the
 setting once.
- If you want a text mark at a bar line, the corresponding
 \mark command should appear at the bar line, not earlier
 in the bar.
- You specified bar types "||." and ".||" that don't exist.
 You probably want "|." and ".|".
- \override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
 does not make sense if you want something printed at the
 begining of a line, right?

I want an 'al coda' on top of a Coda at the first bar "||"
- I would either say it only in words, "al coda" or replace
 the word "coda" with the coda sign. I have never seen
 both the word and the coda sign printed at the same place.

then a Signo on the top of the second bar "||" (at the end of the line)
and start the other line with a CODA on top of the sign Coda before the
beginning of the staff.
- Are you really sure about this? If i understand you correctly,
 you want the segno and the coda to appear at the same bar
 line (although before and after the line break). This doesn't
 make sense, musically. Probably you want "dal segno" before
 the line break and the coda after the line break.
- If that's the case, then you have run into a limitation of
 LilyPond, namely that you can only have one \mark at each
 bar line, it's not possible to specify one \mark to appear at the
 and of a line and another one to appear at the same (musically)
 bar line after the line break. One simple solution is to attach
 one of the markups to a note instead, for example the one
 before the line break.

Here comes one revised version of your code. I hope it's
somewhat like what you tried to obtain.

\version "2.6.0"

{
 % Change the font size of all marks:
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #1

\time 3/4
ees'' g'2 ees''4 d'' c''
bes'2 aes'4
\mark \markup {\vcenter "Al" \hspace #0.7 \vcenter \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" }
\bar "||"
g'2 f'4 g' 2. ~ g'2 r4_\markup { \vcenter "dal" \hspace #0.7 \vcenter \musicglyph #"scripts.segno" }
\bar "||"    \break
\mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" }
g'2 b'4 c''2. ~ c''2. ~ \bar "|."  c''2. ~c''2.   \break
r2. r2. r2. r2. r2. r2. \bar ".|" \break
}

  /Mats

It gave me everything but that.
Here is my code.
{
ees'' g'2 ees''4 d'' c''
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #1 #'self-alignment-X #RIGHT
 \mark \markup { "Al coda" \hspace # 1 \raise #-3 \musicglyph
#"scripts.coda" }
bes'2 aes'4 \bar "||"
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #1 #'self-alignment-X #RIGHT
   \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.signo" }
g'2 f'4 g' 2. ~ g'2 r4 \bar "||"    \break
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible
\once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #1 #'self-alignment-X #RIGHT
   \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.coda" }
g'2 b'4 c''2. ~ c''2. ~ \bar "||."  c''2. ~c''2.   \break
r2. r2. r2. r2. r2. r2. \bar ".||" \break
    }

Jean Bergeron

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing