Re: skip -- What am I missing?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: skip -- What am I missing?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:55:02 +0100

I hope you have read the manual for version 2.7, since it contains several clarifications compared the the earlier version.

For example, in Sect. 7.3.5 Flexibility in alignment, it says
"For every \skip, the text will be delayed another note."

A better solution to your situation is illustrated in the last
example in Sect. "7.3.8 More stanzas".

  /Mats

Quoting Geoff Horton <address@hidden>:

I'm obviously not understanding something important about the \skip
command. I'm trying to use it in lyrics to skip over a leading
refrain, and no matter what argument I give it, it skips over exactly
one beat. See the sample below. As I read the documentation, the first
word of verse two ought to appear under the d that begins the third
measure, but it doesn't. It appears under the e in the first measure.
(Verified in 2.6.4 and 2.7.38)

What am I doing wrong?

\include "english.ly"

melody = \relative c'' {
 \key c \major
 c4 c e c | c c c c | d c c c
}

verseOne = \lyricmode {
 re -- frain re -- frain
 re -- frain re -- frain
 verse one verse one
}

verseTwo = \lyricmode {
 \skip 1 \skip 1
 verse two verse two
}

\score {
  \context Staff = main <<
     \context Voice = melody { \melody }
     \context Lyrics = one \lyricsto melody \verseOne
     \context Lyrics = two \lyricsto melody \verseTwo