Re: help! need an example

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: help! need an example
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 02:05:41 -0800 (PST)

There are two parts to my response: I will try to give you an outline that Should Work, then I will suggest that when you finally *do* finish it, you submit what you have to the Lilypond Snippet Repository (LSR) which can be found here: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/

% example code begins
\version "2.6.6" %if you're using a different version, change this

% first, i set up a few variables: one or two that include information % useful for all voices or staves, and then one for each voice

global = {
  % what's your key? time signature? i also sometimes use this variable
  % with skips to draw barlines and, if relevant, rehearsal marks.
}

soprano = \relative c'' {
  % insert note information for the soprano voice here
}

alto = \relative c'' {
  % insert note information for the alto voice here
}

tenor = \relative c' {
  % insert note information for the tenor voice here
}

bass = \relative c {
  % insert note information for the bass voice here.
  % also, if you have the octaves in the bass, you will have to use
  % chord syntax, so something like <f f'>4, or whatever it is.
  % if you find this chord syntax a little confusing when combined with
  % the \relative environment, try it until it works. compiling a score
  % doesn't take much time.
}

% now i start putting things together. since i personally prefer to only % deal with staves, not voices, in the \score block, i create a couple
% more variables

topLine = {
  \clef treble
  <<
    \soprano
    \\
    \alto

}

bottomLine = {
  \clef bass
  <<
    \tenor
    \\
    \bass

}

% now i put things together in the score block

\score {
  \context PianoStaff <<
    \context Staff = "upper" {
      << \global \topLine >>
    }
    \context Staff = "lower" {
      << \global \bottomLine >>

% end of example

I have not tested this example, so there may be spelling errors in funny places, or I may have omitted points. I could have saved myself a significant amount of time by just giving you exactly what you asked of us (to notate, for you, the progression in the picture); however, if I did, I doubt that would have helped you understand Lilypond usage. Because the matter of putting things together in a logical fashion isn't necessarily something that is easy to figure out from reading the manual, I decided to give you an outline of how to put it all together. Hopefully it is helpful, and like I said at the beginning, I would encourage you to submit your final example to the LSR so that others are able to benefit from this.

By the way, there are a couple things you might look at: in the examples page in the documentation, the fugue for three voices was immensely helpful to me when I had to do something similar when I first started using Lilypond. Also, there are some templates in the main documentation that are quite useful.

Good luck.