Re: line breaks

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: line breaks
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:40:09 -0700

jango wrote:

I thought they are added automatically. =\
I have that piece of music:
http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temp22lw.jpg ,encoded in lilypond.

If I uncomment all note lines a strange thing occures: all notes are
engraved on a single line, like that:
http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temp18rg.jpg
which is pretty strange =\

My question is how I can make those notes to spread out into 4 different
lines (like on the first picture).
thanks a lot!
1. You may be misunderstanding LilyPond's note input. Even though you specified a key of Bb you must still specify each pitch as bes, etc. b2 will be interpreted as B natural. Lily does not work like Finalef or pitch input.

2. You will save a lot of work (and errors) by putting more structure in your global block. I would have:
global = {
  \time 4/4 s1 \bar "||"
  \time 14/4 s4*14  % there are 14 quarters, not 9 in the 2nd bar
  \break
and not put the time signatures and \bar's in each voice. I always analyze the structure and create the global block first.

3. 9/4 time will cause a half note to cross a bar line which I don't believe Lily will do. You original suggests 14/4.

HTH,
Paul Scott