Re: line breaks

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: line breaks
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:06:00 -0800

On 15-Mar-06, at 11:36 AM, Paul Scott wrote:

So it could be reasonable to give an error when the number of beats/bar is exceeded (when not in a cadenza). I would guess the present bar line logic already presents the condition where the error message could be added. I have generated many pages of music without this feature using | when I need it but I can imagine it might help some users.

What's wrong with adding a | every so often to your code?

That's exactly what I do. It would still seem that the wrong number of beats/bar should be an error. OTOH Orm is suggesting that there are valid exceptions.

I'm totally confused now. If you add a | to every bar, lilypond will tell you if you have the wrong number of beats/bar. Other than Orm's suggestion, are you suggesting that lilypond should do | checks automatically? I disagree; users can add | if they want, and if they don't want it, they can save processing time.

If you're not talking about automatic | checks, then...?
- Graham