Re: lyric spacing : "why not follow instructions in manual"

From: Carrick Patterson
Subject: Re: lyric spacing : "why not follow instructions in manual"
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:58:40 -0600

Quoting Geoff Horton <address@hidden>:

> Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I've been working on converting
> files to 2.7.38 for the last few days and I'm in full agreement with
> Fr. P on this. The lyric spacing in 2.7.38 is very, very bad (see the
> attached image, generated from the attached file--there's no way to
> tell from the text alone that these are separate words), and widening
> out the entire score is far from an optimal solution.
>
> The 2.7.38 program reference still mentions a word-space property.
> Trying to set it with a bad argument still produces an error message
> (e.g., \override LyricText #'word-space = #'as produces a "warning:
> type check for `word-space' failed; value `as' must be of type
> `dimension, in staff space'" error message), so something in LilyPond
> is looking at it. But setting it with a good argument (e.g., #10)
> doesn't produce any visible change in the output.
>
> I realize the hope is that 2.7.38 would be the final release
> candidate, and I am very excited about some of the changes that have
> been made from the 2.6 series, but problems with lyric spacing are
> very major problems in my usage of the program, and I would like to
> see them addressed before 2.8 is released. My preference would be for
> the default lyric spacing to be improved.
>
> Geoff

This works fine for me:

\version "2.7.36"

soprano = \relative c'' {
\override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #5
c4 c c c | c c c c | c c c c |
}

wordsOne = \lyricmode {
Long long longer longer longest longest longest longest
Long long longer longer longest longest longest longest
}

\context Staff <<
\context Voice = lala { \soprano }
\context Lyrics = one \lyricsto lala \wordsOne