Re: Problem with init.ly file

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Problem with init.ly file
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:36:21 +0100

Quoting Ben <address@hidden>:

I've been working on a number of small compositions, and every time I
try to create a PDF with Lilypond 2.6.5 (Windows), I get a problem
during "Parsing." The program tells me that there is one of several
problems with init.ly. They vary from "error: syntax error, unexpected
SCM_T" to " error: syntax error, unexpected $end". What do these mean,
and what am I doing wrong?

It often means that you have a syntax error in your own .ly file that
confuses the program so much that it actually thinks the error is
somewhere else.

Also, how do I create chords, properly? I'm having no end of trouble from this.
Here's what the program gives me:

error: syntax error, unexpected DIGIT, expecting DRUM_PITCH or
NOTENAME_PITCH or '>'
R2.*4 <d
       8 d,>^\accent r8 <d' d,>^( <a' d,>^\accent) r

Please help me!

If you read more carefully in the manual, you will learn that the syntax for chords is <d d,>8 i.e. the duration should be specified for the full chord, not for the individual notes.

  /Mats