Re: System spacing

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: System spacing
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:05:10 +0100

By default, LilyPond should not reserve any space for a lyrics line
if there is no lyrics on that particular score line, so I expected
your example to work exactly as you desire. (The exception to what
I said is the first score line, where you can read more for example
in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-08/msg00085.html).

  /Mats

Quoting Ruth Ivimey-Cook <address@hidden>:

Folks,

I have a score in which the first two systems each have 3 verses (lines of
text) underneath, and the next three systems are the chorus and have only one
line. Each system is one line of music.

I saw that there is some control over the inter-system spacing, but it is not
clear to me how to modify the spacing of the chorus such that it the chorus
lines only take up the space required, rather than the same space that the
verses do...

Thanks,

Ruth

The outer level of the .ly file is as follows. I can post more if needed:

\score {
%\midi { \tempo 4=72 }
<<
       \context Voice = mel {
               \repeat volta 3 {
                       \verseMusic  \bar "" \break
                       \chorusMusic
       \lyricsto mel \new Lyrics { \verseOne  \chorusText }
       \lyricsto mel \new Lyrics \verseTwo
       \lyricsto mel \new Lyrics \verseThree