Re: \parallelMusic and \relative

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: \parallelMusic and \relative
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:35:57 +0100 (CET)

> > It seems that \parallelMusic doesn't work with \relative.  This
> > makes it very unnatural to work with.  Any chance to implement
> > something similar, say, a special mode where the first note in a
> > `section' is absolute and the remaining notes relative to it?
> >
> >   \parallelMusic #'(foo bar) {
> >     c'' d e |
> >     a' b c |
> >   }
> >
> >     -> c'' d'' e''
> >        a' b' c'
>
> What should happen in following bars?
>
> \parallelRelativeMusic #'(foo bar) {
>   c'' d e | a' b c |
>   c d e | a b c
> }
>
> or
>
> \parallelRelativeMusic #'(foo bar) {
>   c'' d e | a' b c |
>   c'' d e | a' b c
> }
>
>   -> c'' d'' e'' | c'' d'' e''
>      a' b' c' | a' b' c'
>
> Ie, is the very first note of a voice in absolute mode, or the first
> note of each bar?

Hmm, what do you think of introducing a special symbol, say `$', to
indicate the start of relative mode?

  \parallelRelativeMusic #'(foo bar) {
    $ c'' d e | $ a' b c |
      c   d e |   a  b c |
    $ e'' f g |   a  b c |
  }

    -> foo = { \relative c { c'' d e c d e }
               \relative c { e'' f g } }                  [1]

       bar = { \relative c { a' b c a b c a b c } }

  Werner

[1] The assumption is that two \relative's can be simply concatenated.
    Surprisingly for me, this doesn't work: The second `\relative'
    starts a new staff instead.  Any reason for this?