Re: line breaks

From: Thies Albrecht
Subject: Re: line breaks
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:23:55 +0100

Hi everybody!

Graham Parcival schrieb:
Ah, ok.  IMO, there isn't a "real" bar line there...
Me too... Not knowing much of Lilypond-internals I would guess notes are represented as lists or whatsoever with each element aissgned a length. So "real" bar only occur when the end of a bar coincidents with no element crossing it.

IMO Lilypond "users" speaking of bar lines deal with "visible" bar lines, so with your comment added to the manual everyone should be satified.

Orm Finnendahl schrieb:
In Renaissance Polphonic Music, syncopations in individual voices are
often written without ties, even across barlines for legibility.
That's exactly what I tried before. It was easy to type the input, but I wasn't able to get appropriate line breaks. (see below)

Mats Bengtsson schrieb:
I hope you know about Sect. "Automatic Note Splitting" which
describes one method to avoid having to think about these problems
Yes, I know that section, but it won't give appropriate line breaks. Neither with "Note_heads_engraver" nor "Completion_heads_engraver" it was possible to make Lilypond break at "visible" bar lines with note length crossing it.

My guess: Line breaks are only possible where there are "real" bar lines (see above). Is this right?

Kind regards,
Thies Albrecht