Re: HELP: Guitar Diagrams (chords)

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: HELP: Guitar Diagrams (chords)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:07:20 -0600

On 3/25/06, Jannik Jeppesen <address@hidden> wrote:
> <Another way would be to use the proportional spacing which is new in 2.8.>
> Could anyone please show me an example of this???
>
> Have read this:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.8/Documentation/user/lilypond/Proportional-notation.html#Proportional-notation
> but does not give any meaning to me...
>
> \Jannik
>
> > On Wednesday 22 March 2006 01.37, Jannik Jeppesen wrote:
> >> Hi... I feel, I need to ask these questions again since they have not
> >> been
> >> answered, and I cant figure this out myself
> >>
> >> I want to make a page with only guitar diagrams like this
> >>
> >> c    c7
> >> d    d7    dm    dm7
> >> e    e7    em    em7
> >> g    g7
> >> a    a7    am    am7
> >>       b7
> >
> > You can try lilypond-book. If you really want everything aligned, then you
> > can
> > produce a table, where each cell contains a score with a single chord.
> >
> > Another way would be to use the proportional spacing which is new in 2.8.

Hi Jannik,

Proportional spacing makes beautiful tables.

You can turn on proportional spacing for your table with one line:

%%%%% PROPORTIONAL CHORDNAMES %%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\layout{
  ragged-right = ##t
  \context{
    \Score
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)  % this line
turns on proportional spacing

%%%%%%%% END %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Turning proportional spacing on creates a kind of invisible grid
underneath your score,  like laying out your music on graph paper
instead of normal music staff paper.

We can refer to the argument of make-moment as the 'reference
duration' of the propotional notation system. Once you turn
proportional spacing on, you can play with the reference duration to
space music tight together or far apar. The larger the reference
duration, the more tightly the music spaces; the smaller the reference
duration, the more loosely the music spaces.

For example, you can first set ...

      % invisible grid with squares equal to the duration of a half note
      proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 2)

... then ...

    % invisible grid with sqares equal to the duration of a quarter note
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)

... then ...

    % invisible grid with squares equal to the duration of a sixth note
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 6)

... then ...

    % invisible grid with squares equal to the duration of an eighth note
    proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)

... and then ...

      % invisible grid with squares equal to the duration of a 10th note
      proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 10)

... and you'll see that with each new value to make-moment the
reference duration *decreases* (from one half of a whole note down to
one tenth of a whole note) as the music spacing *increases* (from
tight to open).

That's all there is to it. You can turn on proportional spacing in one
line, and then play with the reference duration to make beautiful
tables.

--
Trevor Bača