Re: Problems with ties over line breaks

From: Steve D
Subject: Re: Problems with ties over line breaks
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:38:59 -0700

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 08:54:58AM +1100, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> The score I'm working on has ties going over a page/line break. On the
> second page, one of the ties is hardly noticeable--in fact, I was
> alerted to the problem by what I thought was a misplaced staccato!
> [...]
> http://web.netcall.com.au/horsburgh/Downloads/brantwood.pdf
>
> The problem is at the beginning of page 3 on the second cornet line
> [...]

I had the same problem (though not at the same location within the score
(not at a page or line break), so I manually added a little extra space
before the note the tie ends at, which lengthened the tie and made it
more distinguishable as a tie) using a technique described in the manual
at the end of section 10.5.6 (Horizontal Spacing)--

\once \override Score.SeparationItem #'padding = #1

-sd
It is true that liberty is precious--so precious that it must be
rationed.  -Vladimir I. Lenin