Re: combining stems

From: Eduardo Vieira
Subject: Re: combining stems
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:20:59 -0300

Hi, Simon!
I had been wondering about the same thing and browsing the list archive I
found a solution in the thread "Stemming for hymnal"
I think the solution for you would be to arrange the score block like this
\score { << \voiceOne
 \sopranThree
 \altThree
 \tenorThree

}

I've been testing this construct with the example below:
\version "2.8.0"
% converted from c:\gs\tesforly.xml
PartPOneVoiceOne =  { \autoBeamOff
    \clef "G" \key c \major \time 4/4 e'4 f'4
\set doubleSlurs = ##t
 g'4 ( a'4 )
    g'2 ~  g'8  a'8 b'8 d''8
    c''2 c''2 }

PartPTwoVoiceOne =  {  \autoBeamOff
    \clef "G" \key c \major \time 4/4 c'4 d'4 e'4 ( f'4 )
   e'2 ~ e'8  f'8 << \\ f'4 >>
    e'2 e'2 }

\score  {
        \new Staff << \voiceOne
                \PartPOneVoiceOne
     \PartPTwoVoiceOne

        }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Now one thing I don't know is how to make one tie be up and the other be
down, like it would normally be if I was writing both voices as chords. I
don't know if it is possible. Maybe one of the Lily experts could answer
this question too.
I too find hard to be writing chords all the time, but one thing that I
found helpful using the jEdit editor is that you can make this text
transformation:
c e
f a
e g
2
4
4
then you select the lines of notes and insert the preffix < and the suffix
>, then select and cut the numbers and do the vertical paste. The result is
this:
< c e >2
< f a >4
< e g >4