Re: Moving dynamic markings & changing font weight

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Moving dynamic markings & changing font weight
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:59:30 -0800

On 28-Mar-06, at 11:01 PM, Geoff Horton wrote:

You're missing an update to the docs that got submitted just after
2.8.0 was released.  :)

----
Some situations (such as dynamic marks) have preset font-related
properties.  If you are creating text in such situations, it
is advisable to cancel those properties with
@code{normal-text}.  See @ref{Overview of text markup commands}
for more details.
----

This was added to the manual to 8.1.3, and I've just added it to 8.1.8
as well.

Maybe I'm suffering from a severe case of the stupids, but I can't
find anything in the docs (in 8.1.3 or 8.1.8) which tells me how to go
about cancelling the properties with normal-text (or anything else).

Ah, sorry, I was a bit unclear -- or rather, I assumed you had knowledge that you didn't have. When I "update the documentation", I make a change to the CVS source tree. When a new version of lilypond is released, the source (for lilypond itself as well as the documentation) is compiled, and a new version of the documentation is put on the web. So when I said that this material was submitted right after 2.8.0 came out, it means that it won't appear on the web until 2.8.1 is released.

That's why I sometimes tell people "ok, I've made a few changes; take a look when $VERSION+1 comes out" -- they can't see the changes until the next version is released, which might be days or a week away.

Regardless of this, you should find info about normal-text in "Overview of text markup commands". (section 8.1.something)

Cheers,
- Graham