Re: Middle line stem direction in 2.8

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Middle line stem direction in 2.8
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:58:20 +0200

Are you really sure that you use the same LilyPond version both in Windows and Linux? These differences cannot possibly be platform dependent as far as I can understand.

For the reasoning behind the change, see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2006-03/msg00104.html

  /Mats

Quoting Father Panteleimon <address@hidden>:

In the 2.7 development versions prior to the release of 2.8.0 , the stem
directions for notes on the middle line of the staff followed the direction
of neighoboring notes (a feature sponsored by Mike Rolish and Basil Crow).
It appears that in 2.8.0, this feature (which looks very nice and helps with
slurs, too) became an option rather than the default. So I looked at the
snippet behind the appropriate graphic on the "changes" page and found this:
\new Voice \with {
 \consists "Melody_engraver"
 \override Stem #'neutral-direction = #'()
}
And then the \relative, the notes, etc.

Since I have no other need for a "\new Voice \with{.." in my scores, I tried
putting  \override Stem #'neutral-direction = #'() in the layout block. This
worked unders windows but not under linux (which runs lilypond much more
quickly).
I also tried the entire \new Voice...etc. snippet under linux and that
didn't work either, although it does under windows. The .ly files I'm using
for both OS's are exactly the same. Is there something wrong with my
installation of lily under linux, or else can someone tell me some other way
to make Mike & Basil's feature default for middle-line note stems again? I
am assuming that it was changed from default to option intentionally, as the
wording of the "changes" doc suggests.

Fr. P