RE: Middle line stem direction in 2.8

From: Father Panteleimon
Subject: RE: Middle line stem direction in 2.8
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:07:09 -0400

Yes, I was running 2.8.0 on both platforms with exact same .ly files. I
uninstalled 2.8.0 from linux (SuSe 10) and tried both 2.8.1 and 2.9 with the
same results. Only 2.7 will do the stem thing under linux. I didn't know
decidous note-stems were bad. They sure look nice, though, especially where
slurs are involved. They keep slurs from having their ends floating high
above the notes. I wonder (having no access to examples) if the old-school
engravers would have the b-stem down in a phrase like this:

\relative c'' {  \set Score.timing = ##f \key d \major
                  g4 g8[( a)] b2( a4. g8) fis4 e fis8( g) a2 }

That leaves a big white space between b2 and its slur, which looks odd to
me. I imagine that old-school engravers had a very limited number of slur
shapes to work with, so this case would make the levitating slur the only
option, unless the note-stem is inverted, in which case the slur looks very
natural. So what did the old-timers do here, and did they do it from
aesthetics, necessity, or convention?
Just wondering.

Fr. P.