Re: Newbie, Some quick chord questions?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newbie, Some quick chord questions?
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:17:54 +0200

Dave K. wrote:

I have similar issues with the Lilypond chord notating system, but
they're not going to fix this so you'll have to set your own
exceptions.

You are right, both the standard and alternative chord naming schemes
in Lilypond are just weird. I've never seen any chord names notated
like that in any real book I've seen. I have no idea where they got
them from. But it's the system they chose and they're not going to
change it.
The way new features enter LilyPond are:
- Somebody is sufficiently interested in a feature and has sufficient
 programming knowledge to implement it himself.
- Somebody is sufficiently interested in a feature and has an economical
 situation to sponsor Han-Wen to implement it, see the link about
 "Sponsoring" at www.lilypond.org.

If you search the mailing list archives, you will find that there have been
a number of discussions on the chord notation over the years. It seems that
one of the main problems is the lack of standard that several people can
agree on. I hope you have also seen the possibilities to add your own
chord name exceptions.

  /Mats (who knows next to nothing about chord notation)