Upgrading from 2.6 to 2.8

From: Kress, Stephen
Subject: Upgrading from 2.6 to 2.8
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:40:19 -0500

Hello, all.

I post this with the hopes that it will prove helpful to someone.

I run on a Gentoo Linux system (thanks to whoever picked up the maintenance for the lilypond ebuild! When will I see 2.8.1, btw?) and ran into a simple issue that took a while to work out.

Back in the 2.6/2.7 days, I had used the package installer for lilypond (the Gentoo ebuild only handled 2.7 and I wasn't ready for that).

When it was time to move to 2.8, I did "package remove lilypond" which worked fine.  I then tried both emerging of 2.8.0 and using the install script for 2.8.1.  Both worked fine until I tried a simple "lilypond myfile.ly".  This produced an error when converting from ps to pdf.  The command being used was "gs-nox" and it was producing a strange error about init.ps or something like that having a version mismatch.

To make a long story short, I needed to do "package remove ghostscript" (I already had an appropriate version emerged using Gentoo's stuff) before my problem cleared up.  Installing lilypond 2.6 with the package installer also installed a version of ghostscript (which turned out not to be compatable with 2.8) along with it and removing lilypond dit not remove ghostscript.  I need to check if guile also has the same issue...

So, if you are on Linux and move from 2.6 to 2.8, make sure your ghostscript (and probably guile) installation is up-to-date.

Stephen

2006-04-07, 16:35:48
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachments may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your computer.