lilypond-book: where are my noteheads?

From: bernie arai
Subject: lilypond-book: where are my noteheads?
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 20:15:44 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: bernie arai <address@hidden>
Date: Apr 7, 2006 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: lilypond-book: where are my noteheads?
To: Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>

On 4/7/06, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> You need both the flag --psfonts to lilypond-book and the corresponding
> flag -h ... to dvips, as described in the manual, to get the musical
> font into the Postscript file. Note that
> the note heads will not show up in your DVI viewer.
>
>    /Mats

thanks for your attention to my troubles, mats.

i've been following the manual instructions to a T since the start (or
so i believe).  using the --psfonts flag for lilyopnd-book and the -h
for divps.  still, the resulting pdf has no noteheads.  dvips shows
some "font not found" type of errors, but the manual says i should
ignore them.  i don't know how to see a more verbose output from
ps2pdf (to look for error messages), so i'm having trouble figuring
out where the problem is originating.

btw, thanks for letting me know that the DVI viewer won't show the
noteheads, but the pdf should.  that would be really helpful in the
user's guide.  i kept looking at the dvi and assumed the problem must
be somewhere before that in the chain, but i now know that's not
neccessarily so.

bernie