padding before note with accidental at beginning of standard measures

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: padding before note with accidental at beginning of standard measures
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:19:58 -0400

[ Lilypond 2.8 ]

Hello, all --

The default spacing of (i.e., padding before) notes which begin a measure and which have an accidental is, to my eye, wonderful -- but only as long as the measure begins a system, or the note is preceded by "something special" (e.g., time signature, key signature, clef, etc.). When the note is in a "normal" measure, I find the padding to be insufficient.

Is there any easy way to tweak the spacing of *just* the notes which begin a measure and have an accidental on them, but the measure does not have anything else special about it? (I don't even mind tweaking every such note/measure manually, as long as the tweak placed in one Voice/Staff is carried down through the rest of the Voices/Staves automatically.)

Thanks,
Kieren.

p.s. I've attached two screenshots, one showing a "good" spacing (with time signature change):

PNG image

and one showing bad spacings (two "non-special" measures in a row in the upper part):

PNG image