Installing 2.8 after many other releases

From: Luise Marion Frenkel
Subject: Installing 2.8 after many other releases
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:31:13 -0300 (BRT)

Hello,

In my Debian like Linux (actually Kurumin) installing lilypond works
fine, without complaints, but I cannot use it because my system still
finds some old version (2.4.0).

I have been using lilypond since 1.4.12 or alike, and in this system
of mine it has been quite complicated to have an up to date lilypond
without compiling it myself, which I never managed, for lack of libs.

The installation of Lilypond 2.4.0 never worked, and I endend up
installing the lilypond-snapshot package for 2.4.1, which works fine
(except emacs mode, which the attempts to install 2.7 have confused). I
have directories of old lilypond versions (2.2 and 2.4) scattered
through my system which did not give any problem until now, and were not
dealt with the uninstalling procedures.

Even if I try to install in a user, it finds the lily 2.4.0.

Can someone help me to perhaps rename to lilypond-2.8.1 the Lilypond
comand for the recent package, or to get rid of the old linking or path?

I am afraid to lose the lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1 and remain with no
working lilypond, which has become essential to me.

Lilypond has improved extraordinarily since 1.4 and even since 2.4 and I
look forward to use the improved figured bass.

TIA,

Luise Marion Frenkel.