Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

From: Luise Marion Frenkel
Subject: Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:51:31 -0300 (BRT)

Thank you so much! Now it works, very well!

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> How have you installed LilyPond in the past? With apt-get or some other way?

Yes, with apt-get, usually from packages made by some Lilypond
contributors.

> If you've used apt-get (or some other package manager), that would be
> the best way to remove it now. I presume that's not possible, so you
> might have to do something a little more drastic. (If you accidentally
> remove lilypond-snapshot are you able to reinstall it?)

apt-get did not work, I suppose because 2.4.0 never installed
completely. I have been trying to do drastic things which made things
worse. No, lilypond-snapshots are no longer available, they stopped
shortly after 2.4.2 because of Debian packaging problems of Lilypond,
and as far as I understood from one e-mail of Laura Conrad, it is no
longer possible to install 2.4 in Debian because of old libs.

> Try 'which -a lilypond'. That will show you the location of every
> LilyPond executable in your $PATH. Getting rid of those--or modifying
> your $PATH--may be your best option.

Thanks. It helped a lot. As you can see I am a very inexperient user of
Linux, although I am happy to have come that far without any advisors.
It would be easier if I had not to be careful not to break anything
with the system the whole family uses.

I got rid of the two files

address@hidden:~# which -a lilypond
/usr/bin/lilypond
/usr/local/bin/lilypond

and installing again was enough.

I just don't know why in a root shell I get

address@hidden:~# lilypond -v
bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory

but it does not matter.

> Do you access LilyPond from the command line or via emacs?

Now again via emacs. It was horrible these last months, to have to use
command line and have all files being dumped into home, having to move
them back to their directories.

I am thrilled to be able to use 2.8 now.

Thank you so very much.

Luise.