Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases

From: Luise Marion Frenkel
Subject: Re: Installing 2.8 after many other releases
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:05:25 -0300 (BRT)

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> > I just don't know why in a root shell I get
> >
> > address@hidden:~# lilypond -v
> > bash: /usr/bin/lilypond: No such file or directory
> >
> > but it does not matter.
> >
> Hmm, it seems your system needs a bit of a clean! I'm glad to see it's
> working though.
>
> If you were having trouble with the lilypond executable, you may also
> run into the same trouble with the other scripts, such as convert-ly and
> lilypond-book. Try, for example, 'convert-ly --version' and 'which -a
> convert-ly' and see what happens. If you need any advice, please ask!

I think I need a new Linux, but I cannot change this on my own. To have
a Debian based Linux that mixed from the beginning stable and testing
proved to be a very bad idea. I try to keep it as clean as possible with
little success.

You were right, and I had remaining convert-ly, lilypond-book and
lilypond-latex from 2.4.0. Removing the old ones and installing again
2.8.1 I now have:
convert-ly : works only in a root shell, where it is version 2.8.1 and
works as expected. In a user shell it gives:
address@hidden:~$ convert-ly --version
bash: /usr/bin/convert-ly: No such file or directory

lilypond-book : works in root shell and user shell, version 2.8.1

lilypond: works in user shell but not in root shell, where it gives the
same error as with convert-ly

Well, I can live with this very well, and these problems do not seem
Lilypond related.

I am happy for coming so far, and thank you for it.

Luise.