Re: Helping with the documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:37:18 -0700

On 14-Apr-06, at 8:20 AM, Bart Kummel wrote:

So I was thinking of a method to make contibuting to the docs more easy. Perhaps it's a good idea to set up a wiki for the docs.

As other people have pointed out, we've tried wikis in the past. The latest version is still online:
http://wikihost.org/wikis/lilypond/

In addition, adding new material to the docs is EASIER than using a wiki.

I think there are many benefits for using a wiki instead of the way the documentation is done now. I think it's more easy for the editor, because he doesn't have to add all contibutions manually,

This is absolutely NO problem for me if I get an email which proposes the exact changes. The problem in writing docs is in coming up with the initial text, not in the technical step of translating it into texinfo.

Another benefit is that we don't have to wait until a new version of Lilypond is built for new documentation to come available on-line.

If this is a serious concern, I could start making doc tarballs available -- or even hosting temporary docs on my webpage. I agree that sometimes this has bothered me.

A third benefit is that the documentation does not depend on one or a few persons any more.

There is nothing intrinsic in a wiki that does this. Whether the documentation depends on a few people is simply a matter of the community. As I've said, adding new material to the docs is easier than adding an entry to a wiki. All you need is email.

Cheers,
- Graham