Re: Feature requests

From: Eduardo Vieira
Subject: Re: Feature requests
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:20:04 -0300

Jacob Cooper wrote:
> I don't care as much how
> they're entered as how they're output. Right now, it looks like syllables
are
> aligned so that the left edge of the longest syllable (in polyphonic
choral
> music) is aligned with the center of the note it's matched with, and in
every
> other part, the syllables are center aligned with that one long syllable.
The
> result is that shorter syllables are placed quite a distance from their
> corresponding note. The way it should look (see Barenreuter's Passion
scores,
> for instance) is that all syllables are centered on the centerline of the
> noteheads, and the noteheads adjusted accordingly. One should be able to
draw a
> single vertical line that would neatly bisect every note and every
syllable at a

I don't quite understand what you mean. It would also be good if you said
which version of lilypond you're using.
I too, am a beginner yet with Lilypond, and have some questions about
standard practices for lyrics placement. But, lilypond is flexible in
adjusting lyrics alignment. Just for your information about variety of
standards, I'm used to seeing in songbooks and hymnals this kind of practice
in:
The first syllable of each new verse is *left aligned*.
The first syllable of lyrics in the beginning of a new system is also *left
aligned*.
The last syllable of of a verse and of a system are *right aligned*.
In other cases, they're center-aligned.

> Syllables should not extend to the left of a barline; rather, the
> notes should adjust to the right.
Again, in many hymnals, which are more tightly engraved than normal sheet
music, they ignore such practices.
But if you want to follow it there is a nice work around in the last on-line
documentation.

> Also, there needs to be a better way to add text above a staff,
particularly if
> there are also lyrics. Currently, it seems that text added above a staff
(using
> ^) is attached to lyric text, which creates odd alignment issues. Any text
above
> the staff needs to be linked to the bar (or beat) and free thereafter. By
If you provided examples, we'd understand better. But texts above staff can
be entered with \markup command, which is attached to notes, not to lyrics.
Give us more clear examples and we will figure out the problems better
altogether.

Cheers,

Eduardo